We will want to make sure out home is looked after when we are traveling.
- Install a home security system. Security cameras and video recorders are useful for monitoring, especially if they connect to a smartphone app.
- Inform a trusted neighbour of your travel plans. Give them a key and relevant information about the home security system in case of an emergency.
- Arrange for the mail to be collected, else the house will look unoccupied. Many post offices will let you suspend delivery for a time. But this will not stop junk mail accumulating.
- Arrange for the lawns to be mowed so the home doesn’t look abandoned. Paying a neighbourhood teenager to mow the lawns isn’t a bad option. Or employ a regular service.
- Set up some timers for lights at night and to play the radio, so the house looks occupied.
- Have an answering machine, lest the always ringing phone shows you are away.
- Arrange for pet to be looked after.
- Avoid social media updates that show you are away. Post the holiday photos after you return.
- Having relative house mind while you are away is often a good idea.
- Make sure your insurance is paid up.
Use a shuttle to and from Sydney airport. Avoid traffic, travel in comfort, and always catch your flight with a Sydney Shuttle bus.