It is lousy to be sick when traveling. A vacation is the time where we want to be free from concerns. But being exposed to a crowd of people will leave us exposed to several possible illnesses, and when we are in a foreign land there will be illnesses we have yet to form any immunity too. Yet precautions can lower the risk of contracting an illness.
- Avoid tap water, and avoid ice. Don’t drink the coffee / tea. Drink bottled water. But do stay hydrated.
- The blankets and pillows are used by other people. Bring your own.
- Hot foods are safer than cold food as the heat will kill at least some bacteria. Or bring you own food.
- The aisle seat is touched by more passengers who more through the plane, which may spread germs.
- Air vents about the seats will filter the air. Make use of these.
- The Restroom will be covered in germs. Use a tissue to avoid touching all surfaces.
- Use a saline nasal spray to prevent your nose / mouth from drying out.
- The fold out tray and seat pocket have been shown to be covered in germs. A sanitizer wipe can significantly reduce this issue on hard surfaces.
- Wash your hands often. You are touching many objects (handrails, sport equipment, doors) touched by many other people. Avoid picking up the accumulating germs.
- Use hand sanitiser.
- Wipe down the surfaces in the cabin you stay in with antibacterial wipes – doorknobs, remotes, phones, tabletops, armrests.
- Use your cabin’s restroom rather than the communal ones.
- Do laundry and wear clean clothing.
- Drink bottled water, and avoid ice cubes. Water on the ship‘s system is not the best. Stay hydrated or your immune system will be strained.
- The food on shore leave is rather hit and miss, especially in developing countries. Avoid is in doubt.
- Avoid touching communal food items like tongs and ladles; hold with a napkin.
- Get plenty of sleep, despite the temptation to stay up and party all night.
- There will be medical staff / services on the ship. Contact these at the first sign of illness.
An airport shuttle bus makes your airport or cruise connection that much easier. Arrive on time in chauffeured style.