Human beings were not designed to fly. Nor were we designed to sit still, cramped up for several hours waiting to reach a destination. But as we do often find ourselves putting up with these conditions because reaching the destination is important, so we can do a few things to make the flight more bearable, perhaps even enjoyable.
- Wear comfortable shoes. You will usually wear these shoes the entire flight. Or you will want something easy to remove. Consider Shoes with Velcro.
The floors of planes are no cleaner that the outside ground, so it is best not to go barefoot.
- Tight clothing is a mistake. You will be uncomfortable after an hour or two, and have no way to relive the discomfort.
- Contact lenses don’t lend themselves to air travel as the environment is too dry. Use them when you arrive at your destination.
- Skin Moisturizer is a good idea, the plane environment will be dry. If you are sitting by the window get a moisturizer with SPF 15+ or better sunscreen, because the UV light is strong when you are flying high.
- Get a good jacket that you can put on or take off as the temperature changes. It might be cold at the point of arrival, or cold in the plane when the lights are out. The pockets of jackets are convenient for carrying items on a plane, or when putting all the items through the security X-ray.
- A loose cotton pair of leggings under your regular jeans or trousers will keep your legs warm when it is cold, yet still be comfortable when the weather is moderately warm. But make sure that leggings are loose, because tight leggings will cut off or reduce blood circulation, which actually makes us colder.
- Circulation in your feet and legs are an issue when you sit still in a plane for several hours. In extreme cases this can lead to Deep Vein Thrombosis. Compression socks will go a long way to preventing this.
- Thinsulate clothing is a good option for the cold. It is warm, but not bulky.
- Earplugs or noise cancelling headphones will go a long way to reducing the rumble of a plane’s engines, which is an issue long term. Don’t wear the earplugs when the plane is ascending or descending.
Wi-Fi looks to become an increasingly common feature in planes, to the point where they may remove all the other forms of entertainment. Pack at least one internet / Wi Fi device so you can watch films while flying.